Around 5000 BC the first Pole builders settled in the Dreiseeen- Land and around 3850 BC the first settlements started to originate. During the next century 22 new villages gradually came into being. The land used by the farmers back then, is now used as farmland by the van der Veers.
The Helvetians were a Celtic tribe who came to the area between the Rhine, the Danube and the Main in the second century BC. From there they had to flee into the, nowadays, Northwest of Switzerland and therefore, also to the Dreiseeen- Land. Switzerland owes its Latin name, Confoederatio Helvetica CH, to this period of time.
In Seeland, on the hills between the lakes of Biel, Neuenburg and Murten (Mont Vully, Jolimont and Sankt Jodel near Ins), interesting characteristics of the Celtic tribe have been found during excavation. Especially on Mont- Vully, where the Helvetians had their main settlement (called an Oppidum).
In the summer of 1999 Hindrik van der Veer was ploughing his land near the Lindehof and discovered some Roman remains. He found a part of a pillar, 79 cm high, with and a diameter of 39 cm. Archaeologists think the original measurements of the pillar might have been about 2.70m and 4m. This particular piece of pillar was, as the hole and the perforations on one side show us, probably used as a roller in the second instance.
In September 2002, while ploughing the same piece of land, Hindrik found another fragment. This time it was a flat piece of Jura limestone which had a groove lengthways, made with a chisel.
Both pieces are presumably remains of a Roman estate, of which Commander Schwab had always thought it was situated in the Greuss Valley.
On aerial photographs of a dry summer, taken in 1976, rectilinear discoloration can be seen in the Bruell Valley and the Eyacher Valley, which indicates that this piece of land actually belonged to a Roman estate.
The modernisation of Seeland got an impulse from the development of the railroad and road transport infrastructure in the last century. Before this development, the Seeland was not an interesting area for commercial purposes. The construction of a railroad was of great importance to the area but it was only possible because the Jura waters were corrected.
The Lindenhof farm was built in 1950 on the spot of a 1810 building. The Lindenhof consists of different sections, in one of them, parts of the 1810 threshing floors have been built in. Another interesting remnant of the 1810 building is the sublime Hauterive stone door-post in the enormous arched cellar. The Lindenhof is an impressive example of the classic Swiss farm architecture from the Swiss late baroque style in which the traditional building types played an important role. (according to Protection Department of the Environment Historic Bulding office: to protect from decay)
The building with his oven (Ofenhaus-Stöckli), a house next to the farm, built in 1918, is considered a graceful and elegant building.